Formula 1: Day 3 Testing – Ferrari’s Raikkonen Fastest
Let’s take a look with this recap of what happened during Day 3 testing at the Barcelona Circuit De Catalunya!
– Raikkonen: P1 – Topping the time sheets, the Ferrari driver set the fastest time on the ultra soft tyre (122.7) which was actually quicker than Vettel’s fastest lap by 0.045 seconds!
Not one to share many words, Kimi Raikkonen is very happy with the car, the progress and the whole setup. When asked about the new ‘halo’ cockpit protection he said it was “ok” – thanks for that Kimi!
– Nasr: P6 – Sauber actually have a reliable car but without the pace! Starting their qualifying practice in the morning (124.7) and then going through pit-stop practices in the afternoon.
– Palmer: P11 – Not a great day for the Renault team, suffering with a gear box problem, a nose change and no qualifying simulation runs for the day however they did manage a few laps towards the end of the day (127.1)
– Wehrlein: P8 – despite suffering with an issue on the rear brake duct the team managed to put themselves ahead of Haas with their times showing that they’re 0.3 seconds slower (per lap) than Alonso in the McLaren on the same tyre.
– Verstappen: P4 – A great qualifying simulation for the team (and driver) managing to bring home 159 laps and that’s without any development on the car – yet!
– Kvyat: P9 – No qualifying simulation for the team today and a brake down in the pit lane – issue is currently ‘unknown’, hopefully they’ll be able to bring better results in the final day of testing tomorrow with Ricciardo in the seat.
– Rosberg: P5 – He did his qualifying runs in the morning setting faster times than his teammate who came…….
– Hamilton: P10 – A switch in the drivers for the 2016 season, I’m not sure it’s going to last long – Hamilton set his laps in the afternoon, slower than his teammate.
Over the past couple of days Mercedes has been bringing home the laps, pushing both their drivers however today – they didn’t do as many laps.
– Massa: P2 – The Williams driver set his laps using the soft tyre and even tried to do a qualifying lap but sadly got held up by Kvyat and unable to do so!
– Hulkeneberg: P3 – A great day for the team, they had a fast car and were quicker on the ultra soft tyre.
– Alonso: P7 – Only 1 place in front of Pascale Wehrlein in the Manor, disappointing for the team with Alonso even trying a race simulation run but couldn’t manage it and having to make his way back to the garage to “change some settings” on his car.
The team did manage to do some long-runs in the afternoon instead and added a new rear wing and new DRS to the car too!
More on McLaren
– Boulier: “We delivered on every promise we made to Alonso” – but what about Jenson Button?
McLaren is possibly the 5th ‘best‘ car on the grid and about a year and a half behind compared to the other teams – with their budget and their team, this is a real shame as I think there’s SO much potential for the McLaren team!
– Grosjean: Not a great day for Romain Grosjean and the Haas team suffering with 2 spins on-track due to a brake-failure – he didn’t have any brakes into turn 1 or at the end of turn 4.
Starting their testing well however it seems to be ending in a way they didn’t want with Manor being a faster team – at the moment.
Unofficial Team Order
So as we get ready for the final testing day in Barcelona, here’s a little roundup of how things are shaping but remember – we’ll be seeing the ‘true’ results in Melbourne during Qualifying!
Force India (Very close to Williams)
Haas (Might change in Australia)
There’s your daily roundup from Day 3 Testing – we have the final day tomorrow so make sure you check back! 🙂
The Formula 1 Girl